Don’t you hate the way some people will grossly exaggerate the impact of some or other piece of technology and how it ‘changed my life’?
Me too. But my Amazon Kindle eBook reader DID change my life. Honestly.
It has boosted my personal productivity – I am now more widely read, more current, and more on top of the trends in my profession than I ever have been – and it’s all down to my Kindle.
I have NO affiliation whatever with Amazon, but I’m still going to try to sell you on why you really must get a Kindle.
Let me be straight: I have little or no knowledge of any other eBook reader – if you can get some other eBook reader that can do everything a Kindle can do then all my comments apply to that too (if you want to add comments on the eBook reader you use then please share your thoughts in the ‘Comments’ section below).
Here are ten reasons no sane businessperson should be without a Kindle (or some similar eBook reader):
You’re working on a plan to become an acknowledged expert in your field . If so, then you’re going to be reading much more than the average – with your eBook reader you can have your entire library to hand for reading, re-reading, and cross-referencing. Your library NEVER goes away – it’s always to hand when you need it.
- The ability to be able to highlight passages that you can export for further use, or later access online in your own section of the Amazon site, is invaluable.
- Audible is an online service offering most major book titles in MP3 form. The integrated Audible player in my Kindle means that I stay on target with the reading goal for my expertise building plan – even when driving. If I get tired of reading I can listen to one of my Audible titles. Indeed, the Kindle will even ‘read’ most of my titles to you (if you can stand the robotic voice it’s a useful feature). Bottom line: it makes so much sense to have both my print and audio books in a single portable repository.
- Your range of reading will increase dramatically. Because of the bulk issue most people tend to be serial book readers – reading one after another rather than carrying several titles around with them. It’s simply too much hassle to cart multiple books around with you everywhere you go. With an eBook reader you can jump from title to title at will – it keeps your reading interesting and varied.
- Having access to the latest titles immediately is simply unbeatable. Read a passage about an interesting new book? Read a review or hear someone reference an interesting title in their presentation? Get a free sample of the book online immediately – delivered straight to your device . Then, if you like it, get the entire book just as quickly.
- Share your reading – get a better return on your reading investment. With Kindle I am allowed to have as many as 6 different Kindle devices on my account. Now I can share my leisure reading with my mother, interesting news and current affairs titles with my wife, marketing titles with my daughter, and so on.
- No matter where I am I’m never stuck for something to read. With Kindle’s player software available on PC, MAC, iPad, iPhone and lots of other devices I have online access to my library at any time I like – the Kindle 3G system even keeps track of my reading and synchronizes my position in each of my books across all of these devices.
- You have no patience – you see a title you fancy you tend to by it there and then. This traditionally means buying expensive hardbacks (that I personally have no space for at home). New releases are just a percentage of the cost of the paper versions – so no waiting for the low cost paperback edition. All Kindle editions are relatively low cost.
- I can take a risk. I’ve been so busy last few years that I had all but abandoned buying books in bookshops – buying most of my books online. When you factor in the cost of the book and the shipping you really don’t want to get it wrong and buy something you just don’t like or cannot use – the lower cost of e-titles makes this less of a risk. You can be a little more adventurous in your reading.
One-stop shop for entertainment. My Kindle provides me with my research reading, expertise reading , leisure reading, audio books, and even some of my music all in one very light and compact device – it’s an all-in-one entertainment system for road warriors.
The best investment you make this year will be in an eBook reader like the Kindle – give yourself an extra edge and boost your personal productivity. Trust me – it will be the best investment you make this year!